Think

Think

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Heels on High... Ouch

I have been women watching.   As a woman I do this to compare myself to others, particularly pain versus fashion quota.  I watch women walk, paying particular attention to what they have on their feet.   For the most part I see women. ladies, and young women in flats and or sneakers... flip flops.  Then I see the stilt wearing acrobbats.  Contortionists of the feet.  Nearly ballet practitioners but withour the grace and the agility.  Well, that is not entirely true..  They do mostly have the ability to walk over cobbled side walks with tuning an ankle or breaking a toe.  And they can naviget the stps onto and off the MAX with an ease akin to miracle water walker.

What does that contortion of the foot cause?  Achilles shortening and stiffening, crushing of the toes and ball of the foot, ankle, knee, hip and back problems...
Is it worth all that to fit a social fied ideal of beauty?  I guess the answer is yes.  It reminds me a lot of the pre victorian and victorian times, the corset; creating a perfect hourglass figure... which also perfectly crushed your organs and ribs... and required the invention of a peice of furniture to faint on.  There are still corset wearers out there, but near as many as there were.  Perhaps there is hope then, perhaps heel wearing will devolve...

No comments:

Post a Comment